Nectarine-Strawberry Shortcake Torte
Nectarines and strawberries team in this shortcake torte that includes a cream cheese topping flavored with nectarine and strawberry purée.
2 cups biscuit baking mix
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon lemon peel, grated
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 cups strawberries
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup hot water
- For Shortcake: In a large bowl beat with an electric mixer on medium speed biscuit baking mix, eggs, milk, sugar, grated lemon peel, and lemon juice until just combined, about 30 seconds. Pour into a greased 9-inch cake pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 20 to 25 minutes or until the center is set. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes; turn out on the rack to cool completely.
- For Topping: In a medium bowl beat softened cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth.
- In a blender or food processor purée 3 nectarines and strawberries; reserving 5 whole strawberries for garnish.
- Combine the fruit purée into the cheese mixture.
- In a bowl sprinkle unflavored gelatin over hot water until dissolved. Stir into the fruit-cheese mixture. Refrigerate until slightly thickened. Spread over the top of the cake layer.
- Slice 1 nectarine and arrange on top with the reserved strawberries. Refrigerate until served.
Makes 6 to 9 servings.