North Dakota Apricot Cheesecake
The rich apricot flavor of this cheesecake makes it a winner for those who have a passion for the sweet, golden fruit.
6 ounces dried apricots
1 cup water
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons butter, melted
3 tablespoons orange juice
3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 cup apricot jam
- In a medium saucepan, combine dried apricots and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes or until the apricots are soft and the liquid is almost absorbed. Remove from the heat and cool.
- In a medium bowl combine together graham cracker crumbs, 1/3 cup sugar, and melted butter. Pat onto the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan.
- Place the apricot mixture and orange juice in a blender or food processor. Cover and blend until smooth.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together using an electric mixer, cream cheese and 1 1/4 cup sugar, beat on medium speed until fluffy. Gradually add in eggs, beating on low speed until just blended. Using a large spoon or wire whisk, stir in the apricot mixture until mixed. Pour the mixture into a graham cracker shell. Bake in a 375°F (175°C) oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, beat together sour cream and 1 tablespoon sugar. Spread evenly over the cheesecake. Return to the oven and bake for 5 minutes more. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Loosen the cheesecake from the sides of pan. Cool for 30 minutes more; remove from the pan, and cool completely. Chill at least 4 hours.
- In a small saucepan, heat apricot jam until melted. Force the jam through a sieve and spread over the cheesecake.
Makes 12 servings.