Rum and Molasses Grilled Bananas
Bananas are grilled and glazed with a rum and molasses sauce offering a complexity of flavors—peppery, sweet, savory, hot and spicy.
2/3 cup molasses
1/4 cup dark rum
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
6 small firm bananas, peeled
Freshly ground black pepper
- Light a hot fire in a charcoal grill or preheat a gas grill to medium-high.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the molasses, rum, soy sauce, brown sugar, hot pepper sauce and lime juice.
- Arrange the bananas in a single layer in a shallow disposable aluminum pan just large enough to hold them in a single layer. Drizzle half of the molasses mixture over the bananas.
- When the fire is hot, set the pan of bananas on the rack. Cover and grill, basting occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining molasses mixture and continue to grill, basting occasionally, until the molasses mixture has thickened and the bananas are glazed and tender, another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from the grill and let cool briefly. Transfer the bananas to a plate, inverting them (the undersides will be more attractively browned than the tops). Season generously with pepper and serve hot or warm.
Makes 6 servings.