Tutti-Fruitti Rice Custard
Creamy rice custard laced with cream sherry, and studded with walnuts and colorful candied fruits.
1/2 cup raisins
2 tablespoons cream sherry
3 cups cooked rice - divided use
2 1/2 cups milk - divided use
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped candied pineapple
1/4 cup chopped candied red cherries
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Combine raisins and sherry; allow to stand 1 to 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in saucepan combine rice, 2 cups milk, sugar, butter and salt. Cook over medium heat until thickened, 20 to 25 minutes, stirring often.
- Blend eggs with remaining 1 cup milk. Add to rice mixture; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in vanilla; chill.
- Add fruits, sherry and nuts.
- Spoon into individual dessert dishes. Garnish with additional fruit, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the USA Rice Federation.