Chef Katie Brown's Nostalgic Apple Pie
In this reduced-calorie version of the classic American dessert you can have your pie and eat it, too!
Pastry for 1 (9-inch) double crust pie
7 cups baking apples, thin-sliced, cored, peeled
1 cup Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground salt
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Place one crust into a 9-inch pie pan.
- Place sliced apples into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Combine Splenda® Granulated Sweetener, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a small bowl. Sprinkle mixture over apples and toss.
- Spoon apple mixture into pie crust. Place the second crust over the filling. Seal edges, trim and flute. Make small openings in the top crust.
- Bake in preheated 425°F (220°C) oven 40 to 50 minutes or until the top crust is golden.
- Serve warm or chilled.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories: 310; Calories from Fat: 140; Total Fat: 15g;Saturated Fat: 4.0g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 270mg; Total Carbs: 43g; Dietary Fiber: 5g; Sugars: 16g; Protein: 3g.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Splenda, Inc; through ECES, Inc., Electronic Color Editorial Services.