Lemon Meringue Pie
The traditional dessert with 61% less calories. A cooked lemon custard layer is topped with mounds of golden baked meringue.
Pastry for single-crust 9-inch pie
2 1/4 cups water
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice or frozen lemon juice concentrate
1/2 cup cornstarch
2 large eggs
2 large egg whites
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1 1/2 cups Equal® Spoonful*
2 tablespoons stick butter or margarine
1 to 2 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
3 large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream tartar
2/3 cup Equal® Spoonful**
- For Pie Filling: Roll pastry on floured surface into circle 1-inch larger than inverted 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into plate; trim and flute edge. Pierce bottom and side of pastry with fork. Bake in preheated 425°F (220°C) oven 10 to 12 minutes or until pastry is golden. Cool on wire rack.
- Combine water, lemon juice and cornstarch in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Beat eggs, 2 egg whites and lemon peel in medium bowl. Mix in 1 1/2 cups Equal®. Stir about half of hot cornstarch mixture into egg mixture.
- Return all to saucepan. Cook and stir over low heat 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in butter until melted. Stir in food coloring, if desired. Pour mixture over baked pie shell.
- For Meringue, beat 3 egg whites in mixing bowl on medium speed of mixer until foamy. Add cream of tartar. Beat to soft peaks. Gradually beat in 2/3 cup Equal®, beating to stiff peaks. Spread meringue over hot lemon filling, carefully sealing to edge of crust to prevent shrinking or weeping.
- Bake pie in 425°F oven about 5 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned.
- Cool completely on wire rack. Cut pie into wedges.
Makes 8 servings.
*May substitute 36 packets Equal sweetener
**May substitute 16 packets Equal sweetener
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): calories 178, protein 5 g, carbohydrate 20 g, fat 9 g, cholesterol 65 mg, sodium 133 mg.
Food Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 fat.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Merisant Corporation ® and the NutraSweet Company, makers of Equal®