Lorena Garcia's Tropical Chicken Salad
with Caramelized Walnuts and Coconut Shavings
Diced chicken is tossed with spicy nuts, pineapple, berries and coconut in an unforgettable chicken salad by chef Lorena Garcia.
2 cups fresh diced pineapple
2 chicken breasts, diced and boiled in water
1/2 cup strawberries cut in quarters
2 tablespoons Caribbean jerk seasoning
2 tablespoons chicken stock
1 tablespoon molasses
3/4 cup Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
3/4 cup walnuts
1/2 cup apple, diced
2 tablespoons Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup sherry vinegar
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and fresh pepper, to taste
1/2 cup coconut shavings for garnish
- For Chicken Salad: Prepare the pineapples by washing and dividing them in half lengthwise; scooping out the pineapple and reserving the shells.
- Toss the chicken, pineapple, and strawberries in a large bowl and set aside.
- For Caramelized Walnuts: mix jerk seasoning, stock, molasses and 3/4 cup of Splenda® Granulated Sweetener together in a bowl. Pour in the walnuts, place them on a sheet pan, and bake them in the oven at 350°F (175°C) until golden brown and crispy.
- Cool the nuts and add to the chicken mixture.
- For Tropical Dressing: mix all the dressing ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- Pour the dressing into the mixing bowl with the remaining together.
- Spoon the mixture inside the pineapple half shell, for presentation, and sprinkle with coconut shavings.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 630; Calories from Fat: 470; Total Fat: 53g; Saturated Fat: 12g; Cholesterol: 35mg; Sodium: 910mg; Total Carbs: 26g; Dietary Fiber: 6g; Sugars: 17g; Protein: 19g.
Exchanges per Serving: 2 1/2 Lean Meats, 1/2 Starch, 9 Fats, 1 Fruit.
Recipe courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.