Beer & Onion Burgers
Beer-infused burger patties are topped with sweet, caramelized onions and served in toasted hamburger buns.
1 large sweet onion, peeled and sliced thick
1 tablespoon butter
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
2 tablespoons beer
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 large hamburger buns, split and toasted
- In a large heavy skillet, sauté onion slices in butter over low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes or until onions are soft and start to caramelize; keep warm. (Don't rush this process or the onions will have an undesirable burnt taste instead of sweet and caramelized.)
- In large bowl mix together ground beef, beer, hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper to taste. Form into four large patties, about 1/2 inch thick, handling as little as possible.
- Prepare a medium hot fire in grill.
- Grill patties directly over fire until nicely browned on both sides, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Serve burgers on toasted buns topped with sautéed onions.
Makes 4 servings.