Fusilli with Creamy Tomato and Meat Sauce
A delicious Italian-seasoned, cream and tomato-based meat sauce served over pasta.
1 pound ground beef*
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 (14.5-ounce) can Italian-style tomatoes, cut up
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
12 ounces fusilli, vermicelli or spaghetti pasta
1/2 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons snipped Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- For sauce, in a large saucepan cook ground beef, onion and garlic until meat is brown. Drain fat.
- Stir in the undrained tomatoes, Italian seasoning, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 40 minutes or until most of liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions, preferably al dente (firm to the bite). Drain; keep warm.
- Gradually stir the whipping cream into the sauce. Heat through, stirring constantly, but do not boil. Remove from heat. Stir in parsley.
- Arrange the pasta on individual plates or a large platter. Spoon the sauce over the pasta.
Makes 4 servings.
*Fresh Italian sausage, casings removed, may be substituted.