Moist and flavorful meatballs, simmered in a savory mushroom and zucchini sauce, are served over a bed of hot cooked rice.
1 pound lean ground beef
1 large egg
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup milk
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 to 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 pound mushroom, sliced
3 small zucchini, sliced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 tomatoes, sliced
Hot cooked rice for accompaniment
- In a bowl, mix together ground beef, egg, chopped onion, dry bread crumbs, milk, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Shape the mixture into 1 1/2-inch balls.
- Heat oil in a large skillet and cook the meatballs over medium heat until brown; about 20 minutes. Drain.
- Melt butter in a large skillet. Add crushed garlic clove, thyme, sliced mushrooms, and sliced zucchini; cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked meatballs; cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with salt and grated Parmesan cheese. Add sliced tomatoes, cover, and heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
Makes 4 servings.