Almond Fudge Topped Shortbread
Buttery shortbread bars topped with a creamy semisweet chocolate topping and toasted sliced almonds.
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups (12-ounce package) HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk)
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.
- Beat butter, powdered sugar and salt in large bowl until fluffy. Add flour; stir until well blended. With floured hands, press evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Shortly before end of baking time, melt chocolate chips with sweetened condensed milk in a heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly until chips are melted. Remove from heat; stir in almond extract.
- Spread evenly over baked shortbread. Sprinkle with almonds; press down firmly. Cool.
- Refrigerate 3 hours or until firm. Cut into bars. Store covered at room temperature.
Makes 24 to 36 bars.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.