Creme de Cacao Torte
A splendid chocolate torte with a creme de cacao filling and topped with a chocolate ganache glaze.
2/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/3 cups milk
2 tablespoons creme de cacao (chocolate-flavored liqueur, optional)
Creme de Cacao Filling:
1 cup cold whipping cream
2 tablespoons creme de cacao (optional)
1 tablespoon HERSHEY'S Cocoa
Chocolate Ganache Glaze:
1 (7-ounce) HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Chocolate Bar, broken into pieces
1/4 cup whipping cream
1 tablespoon butter
1 1/2 teaspoons creme de cacao (chocolate-flavored liqueur) or water
- For Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
- In large bowl, beat butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla until blended.
- Stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder; add to butter mixture alternately with milk, blending just until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks.
- Sprinkle each layer with 1 tablespoon creme de cacao; cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare Creme de Cacao Filling.
- For Creme de Cacao Filling: In small bowl, beat whipping cream, creme de cacao and cocoa until stiff. Cover; refrigerate. Makes about 2 cups filling.
- Split each cake layer horizontally into 2 layers. Place one layer on serving plate; spread with one-third of FILLING. Repeat layering with remaining cake and FILLING, ending with cake layer. Cover tightly; refrigerate at least 8 hours.
- Prepare Chocolate Ganache Glaze; spoon on top of chilled cake, allowing glaze to drizzle down side of cake. Refrigerate.
- For Chocolate Ganache Glaze: Combine chocolate bar pieces, whipping cream and butter in medium saucepan; cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in creme de cacao. Cool to lukewarm (glaze will be slightly thickened). Makes about 1 cup glaze.
Makes 10 to 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.