Glazed English Toffee Cake
A chocolate layer cake filled with whipped topping and toffee bits, and topped with a chocolate glaze sprinkled with more toffee bits.
2 large eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar - divided use
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
1 1/2 cups frozen non-dairy whipped topping, thawed
1 cup HEATH BITS 'O BRICKLE Toffee Bits - divided use
Chocolate Glaze (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
- Beat egg whites in small bowl until foamy; gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Combine remaining 1 cup sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add oil, buttermilk and egg yolks; beat until smooth. Gently fold egg whites into batter. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
- Place one cake layer on serving plate; spread whipped topping over top. Sprinkle with half of toffee bits. Top with other layer.
- Spoon Chocolate Glaze over top of cake, allowing glaze to drip down sides. Sprinkle with remaining toffee. Store covered in refrigerator.
Makes 10 servings.
*To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup.
Chocolate Glaze: Combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 1/4 cup HERSHEY'S Dutch Processed Cocoa in small saucepan. Stir in 3 tablespoons light cream and 5 tablespoons butter or margarine. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to boil. Boil 1 minute. Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Makes about 3/4 cup glaze.
Recipe courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.