Patriotic Cocoa Cupcakes
Delicious homemade chocolate cupcakes topped with a creamy vanilla frosting and decorated with 'cake stars' or with red and blue cake decorating icing.
2 cups granulated sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
VANILLA FROSTING (recipe follows)
Cake stars or blue and red decorating icing (in tube)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour muffin cups (2 1/2 inches in diameter) or line with paper bake cups.
- Combine dry ingredients in large bowl. Add eggs, buttermilk, water, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes (batter will be thin). Fill cups 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake 15 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove cupcakes from pan. Cool completely.
- To make chocolate stars for garnish, if desired, cut several cupcakes into 1/2- inch slices; cut out star shapes from cake slices. Frost remaining cupcakes. Garnish with chocolate stars or with red and blue decorating icing.
Makes about 30 cupcakes.
* To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup.
VANILLA FROSTING: Beat 1/4 cup softened butter, 1/4 cup vegetable shortening and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract. Add 1 cup powdered sugar; beat until creamy. Add 3 cups powdered sugar alternately with 3 to 4 tablespoons milk, beating to spreading consistency. Makes about 2 1/3 cups.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.