Star-of-the-East Fruit Bread
A festive banana quick bread loaded with chopped maraschino cherries, mandarin oranges, chopped dates and chocolate chips with a decorated drizzle of cocoa glaze.
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 3 medium)
1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries, well drained
1 (11-ounce) can mandarin orange segments, well drained
1/2 cup chopped dates OR Calimyrna figs
1 cup HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
3 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons HERSHEY'S Dutch Processed Cocoa
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease two 8 x 4 x 4-inch loaf baking pans.
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well.
- Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; add alternately with mashed banana to butter mixture, blending well. Stir in cherries, orange segments, figs and chocolate chips. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until golden brown. Cool; remove from pans. Drizzle tops of loaves with COCOA GLAZE. Store tightly wrapped.
- FOR COCOA GLAZE: Melt butter in small saucepan over low heat; stir in corn syrup. Stir in water and cocoa; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and slightly thickened. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Gradually stir in powdered sugar, beating to desired consistency.
Makes 2 loaves.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.