Bread Machine Hot Cross Buns
If you're blessed to have a bread machine, making these traditional Easter sweet buns is a breeze.
2 large eggs
1/2 cup butter, softened
4 cups bread flour
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons bread machine or quick active dry yeast
1 cup raisins
1 large egg
2 tablespoons cold water
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk or water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, if desired
- For Buns: Break 2 eggs into 2-cup measuring cup. Add enough water to measure 1 1/3 cups. Place egg mixture and remaining bun ingredients, except raisins, in bread machine pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Add raisins at the Dried Fruit/Nut signal or 5 to 10 minutes before last kneading cycle ends.
- Select Dough/Manual cycle. Do not use delay cycle.
- Remove dough from pan. Cover and let rest 10 minutes on lightly floured surface.
- Grease a baking sheet or two 9-inch round cake pans. Divide dough in half. Divide each half into 8 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a smooth ball. Place about 2 inches apart on baking sheet or 1 inch apart in pans. Snip a cross shape in top of each ball, using scissors. Cover and let rise in warm place about 40 minutes or until double.
- Heat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- For Egg Wash: beat egg and cold water slightly; brush over tops of buns. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from cookie sheet or pans to cooling rack. Cool slightly.
- For Icing: In small bowl, mix all icing ingredients until well blended, adding more milk, if needed, 1 teaspoon at a time, until of spreading consistency.
- Make a cross on top of each bun with the icing. Serve warm.
Makes 16 buns.