Chocolate Christmas Cherries
Might be the best tasting chocolate-covered cherry you'll ever eat! These Christmas cherries are sure to become an annual tradition.
2 cups finely crushed shortbread cookie crumbs
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts
1/4 cup boiling water
2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon corn syrup
36 maraschino cherries with stems, well drained
2 (12-ounce) package semisweet chocolate chips
2 teaspoons vegetable shortening
- In a large bowl, mix together the crumbs, sugar and pecans; set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together boiling water and coffee granules until coffee is dissolved. Add butter and corn syrup and stir until well blended. Add to crumb mixture, mixing well.
- Shape about 1 rounded teaspoonful of the crumb mixture around each cherry, leaving stem of cherry uncoated. Place in a wax paper-lined shallow pan; cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and vegetable shortening in microwave on HIGH for 1 1/2 minutes and stir; if necessary microwave an additonal 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each addition, until melted.
- Dip cherries, one at a time, in melted chocolate mixture, holding cherries by the stems and turning until completely coated. Place on wire rack set over sheet of wax paper to collect drippings. Refrigerate 30 minutes or until firm. Store in refrigerator.
Makes 3 dozen cherries.