Festive Popcorn Trees
For a festive display, anchor each popcorn tree on a sugar cookie with icing (store bought or homemade) and decorate the serving tray with shredded coconut to resemble snow.
10 cups air-popped popcorn
1 (10-ounce) bag miniature marshmallows
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Decorating sugar (green, blue)*
1 tube of white frosting (with decorating tip)
Assorted small colorful candies, such as sprinkles and miniature silver dragees
- Place popcorn in large bowl.
- Place marshmallows and butter in medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir until marshmallows are melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Pour mixture over popcorn in bowl. Toss well to coat popcorn evenly.
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Spray hands with nonstick cooking spray, then scoop up about 1 cup of popcorn mixture.
- Shape mixture into a cone shape, keeping the base flat. This forms the tree.
- Sprinkle tree with decorating sugar; place tree on baking sheet.
- Continue to make the rest of the trees.
- Pipe frosting on trees to make a garland, then decorate them with colorful candies.
Makes 10 trees.
*Make your own colored sugar by adding food coloring to sugar, stirring in a bowl or shaking vigorously in a sealed container. Add more food coloring for more intense tones.
Tip: It’s important that this recipe starts with unflavored white popcorn for best color and flavor.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of The Popcorn Board.