Holiday Ginger Houses
This gingerbread cookie recipe requests the use of cookie cutters shaped like little houses, but you can use other cookie cutter shapes, if desired.
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 cup butter or margarine
1 large egg
3 tablespoons molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon butter or margarine, softened
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Assorted candies, as desired
- Combine sugar and 1 cup butter in large mixer bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy (1 to 2 minutes). Add egg, molasses and 1 teaspoon vanilla; continue beating until well mixed (1 to 2 minutes). Reduce speed to low; add all remaining cookie ingredients. Beat until well mixed (1 to 2 minutes).
- Divide dough into thirds. Shape each third into ball; flatten to 1/2-inch thickness. Wrap in plastic food wrap. Refrigerate until firm (1 to 2 hours).
- Heat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Roll out dough on lightly floured surface, one-third at a time (keeping remaining dough refrigerated), to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut with 4-inch cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 6 to 9 minutes or until set. Let stand 1 minute; remove from cookie sheets. Cool completely.
- Combine powdered sugar, water, 1 tablespoon butter, corn syrup and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla in small mixer bowl; beat at low seed until powdered sugar is moistened. Increase speed to medium. Beat until smooth, adding additional water if necessary, to desired spreading consistency.
- Decorate cooled cookies as desired. Let stand until glaze is hardened (6 hours or overnight).
Makes about 1 1/2 dozen cookies.
- Dough may be stored covered in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- If dough is too firm for rolling, let stand at room temperature until just soft enough to roll.
- If you use a 2 1/2-3-inch cookie cutter, this recipe will yield 3 1/2 dozen cookies.
- Store cookies in a loosely covered container at room temperature up to 1 week or freeze up to 2 months in an airtight container.
- High Altitude Directions: No change is necessary.