Santa's Little Walnut Helpers
Easy cookies perfect for that jolly visitor.
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup chopped California walnuts
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon water
- Prepare Topping: In small mixing bowl stir together sugar, sour cream and cinnamon until smooth. Stir in walnuts; set aside.
- Prepare Dough: In mixing bowl bream butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla; beat until light and fluffy. On low speed gradually add dry ingredients, beating just until smooth.
- Divide dough into twelve equal parts. Roll dough into balls and place 3 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. With your fingertip, make a wide, round depression in the center of each cookie, reaching almost to the edges and leaving a rim. Fill depression in cookies with walnut topping, mounding fairly high above rims.
- Bake in 350°F (175°C) oven 15 to 20 minutes, until filling is set. Transfer cookies to rack to cool.
- To make icing, mix powdered sugar and water until smooth. Drizzle over rims of cookies.
Makes 1 dozen cookies.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the Walnut Marketing Board.