Shrunken Head Caramel Apples
Give a favorite fall treat a Halloween makeover with a shrunken head costume.
8 medium apples
8 wooden craft sticks
1 cup coarsely chopped nuts, such as pecans, walnuts, or peanuts
1 (21-ounce) package vanilla caramels or chocolate caramels, unwrapped (about 75)
3 tablespoons water
6 ounces vanilla-flavor candy coating
2 teaspoons vegetable shortening
Desired candies for decoration, such as licorice, candy corn, gumdrops, candy-coated chocolate pieces (optional)
Tubes of writing gel decorating icing
- Wash and dry apples. Remove stems. Insert one wood stick into the stem end of each apple. Place apples on a buttered baking sheet. Place chopped nuts in a shallow dish; set aside.
- In a heavy medium saucepan, heat and stir the caramels and water over medium-low heat just until caramels are melted.
- Dip each apple into hot caramel mixture, spooning caramel evenly over apple. Allow excess caramel to drip off. Briefly set bottoms of apples in chopped nuts. Set apples on prepared baking sheet and let stand about 30 minutes or until firm.
- In a heavy, small saucepan, heat and stir the vanilla-flavor candy coating and shortening over low heat just until mixture is melted. Holding apples over the saucepan, spoon the melted candy coating evenly over the tops of the caramel-coated apples. Return to baking sheet and let stand about 30 minutes or until firm.
- Decorate the apples to resemble faces or monsters using desired candies and writing gel. Use writing gel or canned frosting to attach candies to dipped apples.
Makes 8 caramel apples.
Make Ahead Tip: Prepare apples as directed. Cover and chill for up to two days.
Recipe and photograph provided by Better Homes and Gardens - BHG.com a member of the Home and Family Network for the best of cooking, gardening, decorating and more. © Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.