Witch's Hat Calzones
Hats off to these cheesy little numbers that are as tasty as they are cute.
1 (3.5-ounce) package sliced pepperoni
1/2 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup finely shredded or grated Parmesan cheese
2 (8-ounce) package refrigerated crescent roll dough (16 count)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon water
Finely shredded or grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
Dried Italian seasoning (optional)
Crushed red pepper (optional)
Pizza sauce, warmed (optional)
- Reserve six to eight slices of pepperoni; set aside. Chop remaining pepperoni slices.
- In a small bowl, stir together chopped pepperoni, cream cheese and the 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese until well combined. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Lightly grease an extra large baking sheet; set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll each package of crescent-roll dough. Separate dough into individual triangles. Place half the dough triangles on the prepared baking sheet. Place about 1 tablespoon of the pepperoni-cheese mixture in the center of each triangle.
- In a small bowl, stir together egg and water.
- Brush edges of triangles with some of the egg mixture. Top with remaining triangles. Press triangle edges together to seal. Brush dough with egg mixture. Fold short edges of the dough triangles up, forming a hat brim. Prick the dough a few times with the tines of a fork.
- If desired, sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, and/or crushed red pepper. Cut reserved pieces of pepperoni into small stars, crescent moons, and/or small diamonds. Press onto dough for decoration.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden. Serve warm with pizza sauce, if desired.
Makes 8 calzones.
Recipe and photograph provided by Better Homes and Gardens - BHG.com a member of the Home and Family Network for the best of cooking, gardening, decorating and more. © Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.