Honey-Kissed Carrot Zucchini Kugel
A delicious, honey-sweetened side dish for Passover or anytime of the year.
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 cups grated carrots
1 1/2 cups grated zucchini
1 medium onion, finely diced
3 large eggs, separated
1/4 cup honey
1 1/2 cups peeled and grated potatoes
1 cup matzo meal
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill (optional)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Combine water, carrots, zucchini and onion in medium saucepan. Simmer about 4 minutes or until vegetables are soft; cool slightly.
- Whisk together egg yolks and honey in large bowl. Stir in cooked vegetables, potatoes, matzo meal, dill, salt and pepper.
- Beat egg whites in separate large bowl until stiff peaks form. Fold 1/3 egg whites into vegetable mixture; gently fold in remaining egg whites.
- Turn mixture into well-greased 1 1/2-quart soufflé or 9-inch baking dish.
- Bake at 400°F (205°C) for 30 to 35 minutes or until kugel is puffed and golden brown.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the National Honey Board.