Roasted Sweet Potato Risotto
Recipe courtesy of the North Carolina Sweet Potato Commission.
2 medium sweet potatoes
1/4 cup olive oil - divided use
4 cups hot vegetable stock - divided use
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 1/2 cups arborio rice (12-ounces package)
3/4 cup white wine
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
1 1/2 teaspoons thyme leaves
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut in half. Cut half the sweet potatoes into 1/4-inch diced and set aside. Cut the remaining sweet potatoes into 1-inch chunks; toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil and roast until soft, about 30 minutes.
- Purée sweet potatoes in a food processor with 1/4 cup chicken stock; reserve.
- In a large saucepan, heat remaining 3 tablespoon oil; sauté onion and small diced sweet potatoes over medium high heat. Cook until softened but not browned, about 3 minutes Add garlic and arborio rice and cook 2 to 3 minutes stirring frequently.
- Stir in wine. Cook, stirring until completely absorbed.
- In the same manner add hot stock, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until each addition is completely absorbed and stock is used up.
- Add sweet potato purée, rosemary, thyme, butter and Parmesan.
- Season to taste with salt and ground black pepper. Serve.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the North Carolina Sweet Potato Commission.