Tex-Mex Chili Cheese Supreme
This great tasting Tex-Mex chili cheese casserole is sure to win approval and 'keeper status' by family and friends.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium green pepper, seeded and chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (15.5-ounce) can kidney beans, drained
1 (16-ounce) can tomatoes, with juice, coarsely chopped
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon chili powder, or to taste
1 (15-ounce) carton Wisconsin ricotta cheese
2 cups shredded Wisconsin Monterey Jack cheese
1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
1 bunch green onions, finely chopped
3 large eggs, beaten
1 (8-ounce) bag tortilla chips
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Sharp Wisconsin cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat. Sauté green pepper and garlic until tender. Add kidney beans. Set aside.
- In saucepan, combine tomatoes, tomato sauce and chili powder. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Add to kidney bean mixture. Combine ricotta and Monterey Jack cheeses, chiles, onions and eggs.
- Spread 1/4 of cheese mixture evenly in greased 13x9x2 inch glass baking dish. Arrange 1/4 of chips over cheese. Spread 1/4 of tomato mixture over chips. Repeat layer 3 more times.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 325°F (160°C) for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove foil and top with cheddar cheese and bake 10 to 15 minutes more.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.