Best Ever Lemon Meringue Pie
This lofty lemon meringue pie is sure to impress your guests.
2 cups granulated sugar - divided use
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs - divided use
1 3/4 cups water
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (no substitutes!)
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (9-inch) unbaked pie shell
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Combine 1 1/2 cups sugar, cornstarch, and salt; set aside.
- Combine 4 egg yolks, water, and lemon juice; stir into the sugar mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and boils. Boil for 1 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat and stir in butter and grated lemon peel. Spoon into a 9-inch unbaked pie shell.
- Beat 4 egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed with an electric mixture until foamy. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, one tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form. Add vanilla; beating well. Spread over the pie, sealing to the edge. Bake for 25 to 28 minutes, or until light golden brown.
Makes 8 servings.