Cranberry-Orange Cream Cheese Pie
A festive holiday pie with a cheesecake-like filling studded chopped fresh cranberries and garnished with orange slices.
1/2 cup cranberries, chopped
1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
2 cups cottage cheese
2 large eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup half-and-half
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 large egg yolk
1 tablespoon water
1 orange, sliced for garnish
1 (9-inch) unbaked pie shell
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a bowl mix chopped cranberries with 1 teaspoon flour and spread evenly over the bottom of unbaked pie shell; set aside.
- In a large mixer bowl beat cottage cheese until almost smooth. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, grated lemon peel, lemon juice, salt, and half-and-half. Beat until well blended then pour into the pie shell. Sprinkle lightly with nutmeg.
- In a small bowl mix egg yolk and water together. Brush the edge with egg yolk mixture.
- Bake on the bottom rack of oven for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the filling is firm.
- Chill well then garnish with sliced orange.
Makes 8 servings.