Grandma's World Famous Apple Pie
Some things are hard to improve on, like tender, sweet and spicy apples in a flaky golden crust.
Pastry for two-crust (9-inch) pie
6 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground mace
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
Cream or whole milk as needed
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Line a 9-inch pie pan with half the pastry.
- In large bowl, combine apples, sugar, flour, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, and mace; toss well to blend. Transfer apple mixture to pastry-lined pie pan and dot with butter.
- Cover apple filling with remaining pastry; pinch together edges of bottom and top crust to seal.
- Brush top crust with cream or milk; cut several slits to vent steam.
- Bake 20 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 375°F (190°C) and bake 30 to 35 minutes or until apples are tender.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Washington Apple Commission.