Shortbread Pie and Tart Crust
This rich, buttery shortbread pastry is ideal for pies and tarts that call for a pre-baked crust.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into chunks
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons ice water
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles a coarse meal. Beat egg yolk with ice water; add to flour mixture. Mix with fork, then gather into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out approximately 1-inch wider than a 9 to 10-inch pie pan or 9 1/2-inch tart pan. Place in desired pan and fold pastry overhang back toward inside; press firmly against side of pan. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Remove pastry shell from refrigerator and prick all over with a fork.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool completely on a wire rack before filling.
Makes 1 (9 to 10-inch) pie or tart crust; 8 servings.
Tip: To "blind bake" the crust and prevent it from puffing up too much, prick unbaked pastry all over and then line with aluminum foil and fill with pie weights, dried beans or rice. Remove foil and weights after 12 minutes and continue baking for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): 146.0 calories; 56% calories from fat; 9.3g total fat; 48.5mg cholesterol; 121.5mg sodium; 21.6mg potassium; 13.6g carbohydrates; 0.4g fiber; 1.6g sugar; 13.2g net carbs; 2.0g protein.