Baked Pizza Wrap
Pizza toppings are encased in dough like a turnover, or a more accurate description would be—like an Italian calzone.
1 (1 pound) loaf frozen white bread dough, thawed
1/2 cup pizza sauce
1 cup shredded Wisconsin Pesto Jack or regular Monterey Jack cheese
1 1/2 cups thinly-sliced sweet onions
1 cup pitted ripe olives, coarsely chopped
2 ounces sliced salami (12 thin slices), cut up
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves (packed)
1 cup shredded Wisconsin Gruyère cheese
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 large egg, beaten
- Roll out, pat and stretch dough on lightly floured sheet of wax paper to 14x7 inch rectangle.
- Spread rectangle with pizza sauce, using back of spoon. Sprinkle Jack cheese in lengthwise strip along center of rectangle. Top with onions, then olives, salami and basil. Top with Gruyère cheese and sprinkle with oregano.
- Starting from nearest 14 inch edge, flap dough over filling, stretching it to cover, then flap other long side of dough over and seal.
- Use wax paper to transfer roll to oiled baking sheet, placing it seam-side down on pan as you remove wax paper.
- Brush with beaten egg.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) for 30 minutes or until golden.
- Slice into 4 portions to serve.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.