Idaho® Potato Crusted Chicken Pizza
Recipe courtesy of Bev Jones.
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
4 tablespoons cornstarch
1 1/2 pounds Idaho® potatoes (about 4 medium), scrubbed
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil - divided use
1/4 cup beef or chicken broth
1/3 cup prepared basil pesto
1 cup cooked, shredded chicken
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into rings
4 ounces crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
8 to 10 fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- In a small bowl, stir together the salt, pepper and cornstarch; set aside.
- Using a food processor or mandoline, slice potatoes very thinly and place them in a large mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle half of the cornstarch mixture over the potato slices; toss the potatoes, then sprinkle them with the remaining cornstarch mixture.
- Brush 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over a 12-inch round pizza pan.
- Layer the potatoes on the pan, overlapping the slices in concentric circles (cover the pan completely).
- Sprinkle the potatoes with the broth, brush them with the remaining oil, then press the potatoes down firmly with your clean hands to compact them into a crust.
- Move the oven rack to its lowest position, and bake the potato crust for 20 to 30 minutes, or until edges are browned and potatoes are tender.
- Remove the potato crust from the oven and spread the pesto over the potatoes using a rubber spatula.
- Top the pizza with the cooked chicken, pepper rings, feta and Parmesan cheese.
- Return the pizza to the oven for another 10 minutes. or until feta is softened and the pizza is heated through.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle with basil and cut into wedges. Use a spatula to loosen the potato crust from the pan.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories: 280; Total Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 25mg; Total Carbs: 27g; Protein: 13g; Sodium: 638mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Idaho Potato Commission.