Shonna's Inside Out Cheeseburger
This is my daughter Shonna's recipe for her doubly terrific inside-out cheeseburger. "Everyone raves about these burgers of mine, with only a few ingredients, they pack a mouthful of flavor!" - Shonna Underwood.
A Family-Favorites Recipe.
1 pound 85% lean ground beef
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt, or to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 (1-ounce) slices deli sliced cheddar cheese*
Hamburger buns, toasted on the grill (I like to spread a little softened butter on mine before toasting, it adds great flavor.)
Butter for hamburger buns (optional)
Grilled onion slices
Your favorite barbecue sauce
Lettuce leaves (optional)
Tomato slices (optional)
- Divide ground beef into 4 equal-sized balls; flatten each on waxed paper to 4-inches across and about 1/4-inch thick.
- Season patties with garlic salt and pepper, to taste.
- Top 2 of the patties with 1 slice of quartered cheese, centering pieces so they are not touching the edges (it's okay to pile the cheese on top of each other as it is going to melt). Top with remaining 2 patties and carefully press the edges to seal so that when you grill the burgers, the melting cheese inside will not escape!
- Grill burgers 4-inches from hot coals, turning only once, about 6 to 9 minutes on each side or until no longer pink.
- Serve on buttered and grill-toasted hamburger buns topped with grilled onion slices, barbecue sauce, lettuce leaves and sliced tomatoes, as desired. (Warning! Be careful before taking that first bite. The cheese inside will be HOT and MELTY! So be prepared! This is the best cheeseburger I have ever had and I am not a cheeseburger fan, but I LOVE these!)
Makes 2 servings.
*Or use any flavor cheese such as Monterey Jack, Colby Jack, Swiss, mozzarella, provolone and brick cheese, or use a flavor combination of any two, three or four cheeses, since you'll be cutting the cheese slices into quarters.
- These tasty burgers "pan-grill" up just as terrific in a hot skillet or griddle. Grill the onion slices alongside so they can soak up some of the tasty juices, too!
- To keep the cheese between patties as it melts, do not flatten burgers with spatula while grilling.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/2 of recipe; does not include accompaniments): 330.1 calories; 46% calories from fat; 17.0g total fat; 65.1mg cholesterol; 925.1mg sodium; 212.7mg potassium; 21.9g carbohydrates; 1.2g fiber; 2.8g sugar; 20.7g net carbs; 21.3g protein.