Béarnaise sauce is, in essence, a kicked-up hollandaise sauce.
1/2 cup butter
3 eggs, yolks only
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon chopped shallots
1 small sprig chopped tarragon
1/4 cup vinegar
- To make Hollandaise Sauce: In a small sauce pan heat butter to a bubble, but don’t brown it.
- In a blender, add egg yolks, lemon juice, salt and cayenne pepper.
- While blending at high speed, gradually add the hot butter.
- Blend for about 15 seconds or until the sauce has thickened and is smooth. This is your basic blender hollandaise sauce.
- To make Béarnaise: In a skillet simmer shallots, tarragon, peppercorns, salt and vinegar.
- Cook until the liquid has been reduced by 2/3.
- Add this mix to the hollandaise, cover, and blend on high for about 4 seconds.
Makes 1 cup.
Recipe provided courtesy of HolidayKitchen.tv. Photograph property of CooksRecipes.com.