Easy No-Cook Tomato Sauce
This recipe for an easy, no-cook tomato sauce includes five tasty variations.
1 pound (3 to 4 medium) fresh California tomatoes*, seeded and coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
3/4 teaspoon each salt and granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- In a food processor or blender, combine and process all ingredients to make a rough-textured sauce. Adjust flavors to taste.
Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
Monday through Friday Variations: To 1 1/2 cups sauce, add:
- Monday: 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil.
- Tuesday: 1/4 cup chopped Greek or Italian olives plus 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated orange peel.
- Wednesday: 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese plus 3/4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh or dried rosemary.
- Thursday: 3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts plus 4 to 6 thin slices prosciutto, cut into bits.
- Friday: 3 tablespoons capers plus 2 tablespoons chopped parsley.
*If peeled tomatoes are preferred, place fresh tomatoes in a pot of boiling water for 1 minute, then quickly place them in a large bowl of ice water. The skins will peel off easily.
Recipe provided courtesy of the California Tomato Commission.