Baked Stuffed Maine Lobster Tails
Baked stuffed lobster is a classic dish. In this version, the lobster is partially cooked, the meat is combined with cracker crumbs and shrimp, then stuffed back into the tail and baked. Prepare this dish early in the day, then bake it later in the evening for a spectacular supper and care-free entertaining.
Recipe created by Chef Christopher Russell
2 live Maine lobsters, about 1 1/2 pounds each*
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup onion, finely chopped (about 1 medium)
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoons seafood seasoning (like Stonewall Kitchen or Old Bay)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 cups crumbled Ritz crackers or common crackers
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the Maine lobsters for 5 minutes. Remove them from the pot to a tub of ice-water to cool.
- Clean and pick the meat from the claws, knuckles and body. Chop this lobster meat into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- Using a sharp knife, split the tails lengthwise down the center on the shell-side of the lobsters. Keeping the shells intact, remove the tail meat from the shell. Remove the intestinal track from the meat, and carefully insert the meat back into the shell.
- To prepare the stuffing: Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, and sauté until soft. Stir in the chopped parsley, seafood seasoning and lemon juice.
- Remove the pan from heat and let cool. Stir in the reserved lobster meat.
- Gently stir in the cracker crumbs. Spoon the stuffing into the lobster tails and refrigerate until ready to bake.
- Bake stuffed lobster tails in a preheated 425°F (220°C) oven until the stuffing is crisp and golden, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
Makes 2 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/2 of recipe): 658 calories, 46 grams protein, 37 grams carbohydrates, 36 grams fat, 1196 mg. sodium, 2 grams fiber.
*This dish may also be prepared with frozen Maine lobster tails. Blanch the tails and carefully remove the meat, leaving the shell intact. Substitute 8-ounces of raw Maine shrimp for the knuckle and claw meat. Sauté the shrimp with the onion and finish preparing the stuffing and the Baked Stuffed Maine Lobster Tails as directed.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Maine Lobster Promotion Council.