Au Gratin Spinach
The ultimate creamed spinach dish! Chopped spinach is baked in a simple white sauce with cheddar cheese and topped with bread crumbs.
1 tablespoon butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/3 cups milk
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Wisconsin sharp cheddar cheese
1 pound fresh spinach, or 3 (10-ounce) packages chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1/3 cup fine, dry bread crumbs
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Add flour, mustard, salt and pepper. Gradually add milk and cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and add 2/3 cup of the cheese to sauce. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Wash and drain fresh spinach and chop coarsely. Place in 12x9x2 inch buttered baking pan. Pour cheese sauce over spinach.
- Mix remaining cheese with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake at 375°F (190°C) for 30 minutes or until crumbs are browned.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.