Braised Red Cabbage with Bacon
Sautéed cabbage and green apple with bacon in a sweet balsamic vinegar dressing.
1 large head red cabbage
3/4 cup diced bacon
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups sliced onion
2 cups beef broth
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3 tart green apples, peeled and sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
- Clean, core and quarter cabbage. Cut cabbage quarters into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Cook bacon until lightly browned in a pot or Dutch oven on medium-high heat. Add sugar and cook until dissolved, stirring frequently.
- Add onion and continue to cook 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add cabbage, broth, vinegar and apples. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for approximately 45 to 50 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings.
Tip: This dish is best sautéed just before serving; however, the cabbage and onion can be sliced in advance and refrigerated, airtight. The apples can be sliced and stored in water with a little lemon juice to prevent them from discoloring.