Aged cheddar cheese chowder with onion, celery, carrots, bell pepper, corn and potatoes seasoned with curry powder.
3 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup chopped celery, with leaves
2 carrots, diced
1 cup diced red and/or green bell peppers
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 quart chicken broth or bouillon
1 (8-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 pound (3 medium) russet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 cup half-and-half (light cream)
2 1/2 cups shredded Wisconsin Aged Cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- In 3 to 4 quart saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrots and bell peppers. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook, stirring, 3 minutes.
- Mix in broth, corn and potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add half-and-half (light cream), cheese, curry and parsley. Cook until cheese is melted.
- Purée 2 cups soup in food processor or blender. Return mixture to saucepan. Heat through; season with salt and pepper.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.