Golden Oyster Chowder
Recipe courtesy of Florida Agriculture Bureau of Seafood and Aquaculture.
2 cups shucked Florida oysters, undrained
1/2 cup Florida onion, chopped
1/2 cup Florida celery, sliced
2 cups fresh Florida mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups milk
1 (10.5-ounce) can cream of potato soup
1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 (2-ounce) jar diced pimiento
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
Fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- Remove any shell particles from oysters; set aside.
- Cook onions, celery and mushrooms in butter over low heat until tender.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper; add milk gradually stirring until thickened.
- Add potato soup and grated cheese. When cheese is melted, add oysters, pimiento and hot pepper sauce. Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes or until oyster edges curl.
- Serve immediately. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 330; Calories From Fat: 200; Cholesterol: 95mg; Total Carbs: 17g; Protein: 16g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Florida Agriculture Bureau of Seafood and Aquaculture.