Southwestern Sweet Potato Tortilla Soup
Recipe courtesy of the North Carolina Sweet Potato Commission.
6 (6-inch) flour tortillas
Vegetable oil cooking spray
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup small diced green pepper
1 tablespoon minced seeded jalapeño pepper
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups diced, peeled North Carolina sweet potato
1 pound cooked, diced barbecued pork
2 cups frozen corn kernels
1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 cup tomato sauce (or an 8-ounce can)
1/2 cup mild salsa
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
1 ripe avocado for garnish
- For Tortilla Strips: Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Coat one side of each tortilla with cooking spray and divide into two stacks of three. With a sharp knife, cut tortillas into 1/4-inch wide strips. Spread loosely on ungreased baking sheet. Bake about 10 minutes until crisp and lightly browned. Stir well after 5 minutes.
- For Soup: In a large soup pot, heat oil and cook onions, peppers, garlic, chili powder and cumin over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and sweet potatoes and bring to a low simmer. Cook about 10 minutes.
- Stir in pork, corn, tomatoes, tomato sauce, salsa, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer another 15 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Just before serving, peel avocado and dice.
- To Serve: Ladle soup into large bowls, top with diced avocado and garnish with tortilla strips.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 529; Total Fat: 20g; Total Carbs: 57g; Fiber: 8g; Protein: 33g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the North Carolina Sweet Potato Commission.