Fiesta Turkey Pie
Transform leftover turkey into a delicious new dish with this recipe for a Tex-Mex-style turkey pot pie with a cheddar cheese pastry crust.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2/3 cup vegetable shortening
6 tablespoons ice cold water
1 potato, peeled and diced
2 cups water
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cups chopped cooked turkey
1 (16-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (14.5-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
1 (11-ounce) can corn, drained
1 (4-ounce) jar sliced pimentos
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- For Crust: Combine flour, 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese and cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add 5 to 6 tablespoons cold water to make a soft dough. Divide in half, then roll out on a floured surface and place one sheet in a 8 or 9-inch pie pan; set aside.
- For Filling: In a small saucepan, bring to a boil, peeled, diced potato in water. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain.
- In a skillet, sauté in oil, chopped onion until tender. Add turkey, black beans, stewed tomatoes, corn, sliced pimentos, and chili powder. Bring to a boil, remove from the heat and stir in the cooked potato and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Spoon the turkey mixture into the prepared pie crust, cover with remaining dough and trim the edge, flute, cut slits in the top crust.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F (205°C) for 40 to 45 minutes, or until filling is bubbly and crust is golden brown. Allow to sit for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 servings.