Turkey Pot Roast
For a change from the usual, try this turkey take on the classic pot-roast meal.
3 pounds uncooked turkey parts (legs, breast, etc.)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 cup chicken broth
3 potatoes, peeled and halved
6 carrots, peeled and thickly sliced
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water
- Rinse turkey and pat dry. Place skin-side up in an oven-safe, non-stick kettle. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in a preheated 450°F (230°C) oven for 25 minutes, or until browned; drain.
- Add chopped onion, crushed garlic cloves, basil, thyme, and chicken broth. Cover and simmer over low heat until the turkey is nearly tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add halved potatoes and thickly sliced carrots. Cover and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove the turkey and vegetables to a platter and keep warm.
- Skim the juices and discard any fat. Mix cornstarch and cold water; stir into the simmering pan juices. Cook, stirring, until the sauce is thickened.
Makes 4 servings.