Turkey Risotto Primavera
Recipe courtesy of the National Turkey Federation.
2 cups broccoli florets
1/2 cup carrots cut into 2-inch strips
1/2 cup red bell pepper, sliced
1 1/2 pounds boneless turkey thighs, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 tablespoons olive oil - divided use
1 cup Arborio rice or other short grain rice
1 cup onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1/2 cup dry white wine
3 cups low sodium, low-fat chicken broth
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Boil broccoli florets, carrots, and red bell pepper until tender but crisp. Drain and shock in cold water to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 3-quart sauce pan over medium heat. Add half of turkey and lightly brown on all sides. Repeat with second half. (Do not crowd pieces as meat will steam instead of brown). Transfer to plate.
- Add remaining tablespoon of oil to pan; stirring constantly, sauté rice 2 to 3 minutes Add onions, sauté another 2 to 3 minutes; add garlic and sauté 30 seconds.
- Add turkey cubes, draining as much liquid as possible.
- Add wine, stirring to scrape up brown bits on bottom of pan; cook until liquid has evaporated and mixture is fairly dry.
- Add chicken broth; return to boil; cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, or until mixture is creamy, but rice is al dente. If there is too much liquid left, turn heat to medium-high and boil, stirring constantly, to desired creaminess.
- Remove from heat; stir in Parmesan cheese until melted; gently fold in cooked vegetables; salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the National Turkey Federation.