Turkey Rouladen with Wild Rice and Gouda Cheese
Impress guests with your culinary skills when you serve this delicious and elegant entrée. Recipe created by Chef Todd Utpadel.
2 boneless turkey breast halves, skin on
12 slices Wisconsin Smoked Gouda cheese
Salt and pepper
3 tablespoons whole sweet butter, separated
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 pint chicken broth
1 cup whipping cream
salt and white pepper, to taste
1 cup uncooked wild rice
1/2 cup Craisins® (dried cranberries)
1 sprig fresh rosemary, finely chopped
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- For Supreme Sauce: Melt 2 tablespoons butter in sauce pan. Add flour, stirring until smooth. Add broth gradually to flour/butter mixture; cook gently until reduced by 25 percent. Add whipping cream, reducing again by 25 percent. Finish with remaining tablespoon of butter. Season with salt and white pepper; set aside.
- For Stuffing: Cook wild rice according to package directions and chill. Combine with Craisins, fresh rosemary, salt and pepper to taste.
- To Assemble: Place a turkey breast half, skin side down. Cut (butterfly) almost in half horizontally. (Or ask your butcher to do this.) Open breast and pound with meat mallet to a uniform thickness of 1/2-inch, working toward a rectangular shape. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place six Gouda slices on breast. Spread 1/2 of stuffing atop Gouda. Roll up like a pinwheel, ending with skin on top. Tie with butcher’s twine. Repeat with remaining breast.
- Place meat thermometer in center of one breast.
- Roast at 325°F (160°C) for about 45 minutes or until meat thermometer reaches 170°F (80°C). Allow to stand for 15 minutes and slice.
- Serve with warmed supreme sauce.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.