Turkey Steak with
Caramelized Onions and Marsala Mushrooms
Dinner for two, turkey steaks served with caramelized onions and mushrooms in a rosemary-scented Marsala wine sauce.
2 Honeysuckle White® Turkey Steaks or cutlets
1 medium sweet onion, sliced
2 tablespoons unsalted butter - divided use
1/4 pound button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced thin
3 fresh sprigs of rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
3/4 cup Marsala wine
1 tablespoon olive oil
Fresh rosemary and chives for garnish (optional)
- Over medium heat, caramelize onion in 1 tablespoon butter. Remove from pan and reserve.
- Add another 1 tablespoon of butter to the same pan and sauté mushrooms. Continue to cook until mushrooms lose and then begin to reabsorb their liquid. Add onions, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Slowly add Marsala wine while continuing to sauté. Continue until all wine has been absorbed.
- While the mushrooms are absorbing wine, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in sauté pan over medium to medium high heat. Sprinkle both sides of the turkey steaks with cracked black pepper and, when the oil is hot, place in the pan.
- Sear the steak without disturbance until the meat has turned white about halfway through (about 2 minutes). Reduce heat to low, turn the steak and cover the pan (this helps to speed cooking and ensure that moisture is retained through the application of steam).
- Continue to cook on low until turkey is firm and the internal temperature is at least 160°F (70°C), about 5 minutes.
- Remove spent rosemary sprigs (if used) and plate onion mixture, shingling turkey steaks on top and garnish with fresh rosemary and fresh chives.
Makes 2 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Honeysuckle White, a division of Cargill, Incorporated. Used with permission.