Jo's Osso Buco
"Lovely winter comfort food. Great taste when served with mashed potatoes and gremolata." Recipe submitted by Jo Woolnough from Victoria, Australia.
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 veal shanks
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 yellow onions, sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 (26-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
1 cup chicken stock or broth
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Season flour with salt and pepper. Toss the veal shanks in the flour, and shake off excess.
- Cook veal in 1 tablespoon oil, using a large flameproof casserole dish or heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove.
- Heat the remaining oil in the casserole dish over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally for 2 to 3 minutes or until they soften slightly. Add the garlic and cook stirring, for 30 seconds or until aromatic.
- In a separate bowl combine the tomatoes, stock and tomato paste.
- Return veal to the onion garlic mixture, add the tomato mixture and bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook covered, for 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir in parsley and season with salt and pepper. Cook uncovered for another 30 minutes or until the veal is tender and the sauce reduces and thickens slightly.
Makes 4 servings.