Search for recipes throughout
the entire site or select one of the recipe collections from
the drop-down menu on the search tool below:
Osso buco, a savory veal shank stew with
celery, carrots, onion, white wine, tomatoes and traditional
Italian seasonings, hails from the land of Milano.
- 5 to 6 veal shanks
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 stalks celery
1 large onion
2 cloves garlic
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) butter
1 cup dry white wine
2 (14-ounce) cans Italian tomatoes with juice
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon thyme
2 bay leaves
Sprig of parsley
- Start by seasoning the meat with salt
- Dredge the veal shanks in the flour.
- Assemble a coarse grinding plate to a
mixer and grind celery, carrots, onion and garlic.
- Heat a Dutch oven generously with Bertolli
Extra Virgin Olive Oil and brown the meat.
- Then remove the meat and reserve it.
- To the same pot add 1/2 a stick of butter.
- Add all the shredded vegetables with white
wine and saute and return the meat to the pan.
- Add Italian tomatoes with its juice and
mash with your hands or the back of a wooden spoon.
- Add basil, thyme, bay leaves a sprig of
parsley and cover.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Then bake in a 350°F (175°C) oven
for 2 hours or so until the meat is tender.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and video provided courtesy of HolidayKitchen.tv.
Photograph property of CooksRecipes.com.
Rate and submit your comments
about this recipe below.