Saucy Veal and Vegetables
Veal strips are simmered in a savory, Italian-style vegetable cream sauce and served over spaghetti or linguine pasta.
2 cups quartered fresh mushrooms
1 cup julienne-cut carrots
1 small zucchini, halved lengthwise, cut into 1/4-inch slices
4 green onions, sliced
1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves, crushed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
2 tablespoons vegetable oil - divided use
1 pound boneless veal cutlets, cut into thin strips
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons dry white wine
1/4 cup sour cream
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
Hot cooked spaghetti or linguine
- In large skillet, sauté mushrooms, carrots, zucchini, green onions, basil, salt, pepper and oregano in 1 tablespoon oil; remove and set aside.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to skillet. Quickly brown veal in 2 batches; remove and set aside.
- Melt butter in skillet; add flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Slowly stir in chicken broth and bring to a boil, cook until thickened.
- Add wine and sour cream; return veal and vegetables to skillet; season to taste with salt and pepper. Heat slowly. Do not boil.
- Serve over hot spaghetti.
Makes 4 servings.