Recipe adapted from Chef Tony Tammero of Palm Restaurant, New York, NY.
1 pound veal leg cutlets, cut 1/8 to 1/4-inch thick
3 cups veal stock or chicken broth
1 cup white wine
4 tablespoons butter
8 ounces shiitake mushrooms
3/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil
1/4 cup shallots
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes
1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
- Add stock and wine to medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook over high heat until reduced by half, stirring occasionally.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes and shallots to pan; cook and stir 5 minutes or until mushrooms have softened. Remove from skillet.
- Pound veal cutlets to 1/8-inch thickness, if necessary. Combine flour, salt and pepper in shallow dish. Lightly coat cutlets with seasoned flour.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in same skillet over medium heat until melted. Place 2 or 3 cutlets in skillet; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until veal is cooked through, turning once. Remove cutlets; keep warm. Repeat with remaining cutlets, adding remaining butter as needed.
- Add reduced stock mixture to pan. Cook and stir 1 minute or until browned bits attached to pan are dissolved. Return veal cutlets and mushroom mixture to pan. Stir in tomatoes and basil. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 378; Total Fat: 18g; Saturated Fat: 9g; Cholesterol: 118mg; Total Carbs: 15g; Fiber: 4g; Protein: 30g; Sodium: 713mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.