Appetizer Chicken Roulades
Chicken breasts are pounded flat, topped with fresh basil leaves, roasted red peppers and a savory goat cheese mixture, rolled up, baked and then sliced crosswise to serve.
Recipe Ingredients:4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1 (3-ounce) log goat cheese, softened*
1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
8 large fresh spinach leaves
1 (7.25-ounce) jar roasted sweet red peppers, drained
Additional fresh spinach leaves (optional)
- Place chicken breasts between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; flatten to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- Stir together goat cheese, cream cheese, and basil; spread evenly over each chicken breast. Top each with 2 spinach leaves and roasted red peppers.
- Roll up, jelly-roll fashion, starting with a short side. Secure rolls with wood en picks, and place, seam side down, in a lightly greased 11 x 7-inch baking dish.
- Bake, covered, at 350°F (175°C) for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake 20 more minutes or until chicken is done.
- Slice crosswise into 6 to 8 pieces, and serve on a spinach-lined plate, if desired.
Makes about 24 roulades.
*1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese may be substituted.